Quinoa with Chickpeas, Spinach and Haloumi

By Fongolicious - November 08, 2011


Last night was my first experience cooking and eating quinoa. After learning about what it is a few weeks ago and its nutritional benefits (15% protein!) I was very keen to give it a go. My work colleague, gave me this recipe - which I adapted (of course). Turned out fantastic and delicious with multiple helpings and extras for lunch the next day. Definitely something I'll continue to cook and eat, YUM!

Ingredients
1 tblsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed/minced
¾ cup quinoa
1 ½ tsp curry powder
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp cinnamon (I put in a few shakes only)
1 ½ cups vegetable stock (I used chicken stock)
1 (400g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
200g defrosted frozen spinach (approx. you can add more or less)
200g haloumi chopped in small cubes (approx. you can add more or less)

Method
In a medium saucepan, stir together the olive oil, onion and garlic over medium heat until the onion has softened and turned translucent; about 5 mins.



Stir in the quinoa, curry powder, salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon and stock.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 mins until the quinoa is tender. Stir occasionally. If you find the bottom sticks, add some water to loosen. 

Add chickpeas, spinach and haloumi ¾ way through simmering. Sit off the heat to cool slightly. Serve warm.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. this looks yummy and sounds really healthy! will be making this for our weekly vegetarian night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making this tonite with no variations! Looking forward to a great dish! My mouth is watering aready! Thank you for your creative inspirations! :)

    ReplyDelete